This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

As a historian of cartography, map librarian, and Having been in the US Army
(1983-86) and having also trained with the British Territorial Army in the late
80's I find this article distinctly lacking in any real research. I think that
if one was to compare this map to a British army mapping or a US Army map of
this same region you will find that the Russians just reprinted one of these
maps with Cyrillic text and captions. The most of the maps of Germany that they
had, used German or US army maps as a base for their own. Though US army maps
were considered “classified”, access to them was so sloppy that anyone could
obtain a sheet or for that matter a who map set with ease. I know of geography
departments both here in the US and in Germany that had US army map sets in
their map rooms, and there was no restrictions on their use.
I think that as Tony said there is a lot of journalistic hyperbole involved. If
we were to use the same conclusions for every map in the Russian map set for
British Isles then the Russians also had their eyes on the little village of
Flaxby in Yorkshire - yes it is on a Russian map and a US map. What would be
more interesting would be what is missing rather than what is there.
To end this I think they should have compared their map of Manchester to the US
army 1:50,000 map of the same region.

George