This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

As an adjunct to the remarks below, I would suggest reading Tony
Campbell's 1989 article, "Understanding Engraved Maps":
<http://maphistory.info/understanding.html> . This is supplemented with a
few more recent links to web references.

         Joel Kovarsky

> This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to
> the whole list)
> o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o
> +
>
> Quickly,
>
> A copy is a reproduction from an original. Be it a photo-offset,
> collotype or digital print or one of the many processes that have been
> used. A later state is still from the original printing plate, be it a
> copper plate or woodcut. Often we tell the differences in states because
> an engraver has altered the plate, for example by adding or burnishing
> out information.
>
> Harry S. Newman
> The Old Print Shop, Inc
> 150 Lexington Ave.