From: maphist-boun...@geo.uu.nl [mailto:maphist-boun...@geo.uu.nl] On Behalf
Of Jeremy Pool
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:15 PM
To: Discussion group for map history
Subject: [MapHist] Publication announcement: Mer de l'Ouest by Don McGuirk

(With apologies for any cross-posting.)

Publication Announcement:

The Last Great Cartographic Myth - Mer de l'Ouest by Don McGuirk

This cartobibliography traces the appearance of the mythical Sea of the West
on printed maps. This imagined extension of the Pacific Ocean into the North
American continent - reflecting the hopes and dreams of a Northwest Passage
- appeared on printed maps beginning in 1700 and continued to appear for
over a century.  The cartobibliography describes and illustrates 239 maps
(many described in multiple states and versions), and is accompanied by an
introductory overview as well as the first translation into English of J.N.
De L'Isle's Nouvelles Cartes des Decouvertes de l'Amiral De Fonte, which was
a prime factor behind the appearance of Mer de l'Ouest on maps published in
the 18th century.

This cartobibliography is published on a USB flash drive, for use under
MS/Windows.  The flash drive format provides a number of  advantages over a
printed book:

> Copious high-resolution imagery. Most of the entries are accompanied by
one or more high-resolution images. Map images can be viewed at full (zoomed
in) resolution, or scaled to fit the image window.  Multiple image windows
can be opened simultaneously, allowing side-by-side comparison of map
images.

> Fully searchable and sortable: by map-maker, title, date, or any (or all)
of the available fields.

> Hyperlinks: The cartobibliography utilizes clickable hyperlinks to let you
jump between related entries and to open up web pages containing related
information (e.g. additional online imagery, WorldCat citations, etc.).

> Portable: The flash drive weighs 2 grams (8 grams when stored in its
credit-card sized case), yet holds nearly half a gigabyte of text, data and
imagery.

> Updateable: The author and publisher will release periodic updates, which
will be available as a simple (and relatively small) download from the
publisher's website. Instead of errata sheets or addenda & corrigenda pages,
the updates will bring the entire cartobibliography up-to-date with the
latest additions, corrections and imagery.

The cartobibliography is available ($45 plus shipping) directly from the
publisher, MapRecord Publications. Further information is available at
www.MapRecord.com/MerOuest.html.

Maphist mailing list
Maphist@geo.uu.nl