This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

First of all, I can't say how pleased I am to hear this news! When this news was posted it here it simply made no sense.

I realize that this is probably an impolitic question to ask, ;-) but what was the problem and why are the meetings across the street? Was it a question of increased security?

Why did the Library just summarily say no, rather than working with a group that is clearly a great supporter of the Library to find a solution? This whole things seems quite perplexing and unfathomable.

Take care,
John

This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

All,

The New York Map Society is pleased to announce that we have come to an amicable resolution with the New York Public Library.

We were both surprised and extremely grateful to all of you in the map world who have sent emails of support to both the Map Society and the library.

We are also grateful for the help from several individuals at the library and the library itself for its involvement in supporting our organization. We could not have moved forward without the help of Kate Cordes and Mat Knutzen of the Map Division.

Starting with our September meeting, we will be hold future events at the Mid-Manhattan Library at 455 5th Avenue at 40th Street. The location is diagonally across from our former meeting space. Please see our web site for more details. <http://ww.nymapsociety.org/MEETINGS.HTM>http://ww.nymapsociety.org/MEETINGS.HTM

The board of the map society has, in my humble opinion, complied one of our best and most adventurous list of speakers for the upcoming fall and winter season. We have authors, map makers and Antarctic scientists. There is also the possibility of Father Justin, librarian at St. Catherine's Monastery bringing cartographic treasures from the Monastery to the US in April or May.
Fingers crossed.

Our schedule is now as follows, with further details to come:

Saturday, September 10th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Abandoning Cartographic Conventions

Kris Harzinski, founder of The Hand Drawn Map Association and author of From here to There: A Curious Collection from the Hand Drawn Map Association, will discuss how abandoning cartographic conventions yields a more individualized and honest view of the world around us.

Saturday, October 15th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Carol Delaney, author of the upcoming release Columbus and the Quest for Jerusalem.

<http://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Quest-Jerusalem-Carol-Delaney/dp/1439102325/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311024365&sr=1-6>http://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Quest-Jerusalem-Carol-Delaney/dp/1439102325/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311024365&sr=1-6

Saturday, November 12th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Ned Barnard and Ken Chaya, creators of the Central Park Entire: the Definitive Illustrated Map.

Saturday, January 14th, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Speaker to be announced.

Saturday, February 11th, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Nick Frearson, polar scientist ( British Antarctic Survey and Columbia University's Lamont-Doheny Earth Observatory)

Saturday, March 10th, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Mark Monmonier

NOTE: The New York Public Library provides meeting space to the New York Map Society, but the Society receives no financial support nor sponsorship from the Library. Likewise, the New York Map Society and the Mercator Society are entirely separate organizations, with no financial or other business ties between them. The New York Map Society is financially supported solely by dues paid by its members, and no elected officer is employed by the Library.

Again, thank you all for your passionate support from around the world.

Kind regards to you all,
Heather Kinsinger and the New York Map Society Board Members
Fred Shauger, President
John Woram, Vice President
Les Trager, Treasurer
Zhennya Slootskin, Secretary