This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Have you thought of contacting Jewish congregations in London synagogues; try
East End (a few Orthodox remain there) or Golders Green or Stamford Hill.
Orthodox better for this purpose perhaps than Reform or Liberal, less
out-marriage.  A lot of Jews fled to London, also Leeds , not from he Nazis in
the 1930s but earlier pogroms by the Russians in the 1890s (who then also ruled
a lot of what is now Poland).  My gt grandfather was called Sochachevsky
(probably wrong spelling) before he changed his name to Shaw to make it easier
for his employer,a photographer in Aldgate in 1900.  As there's a town in E
Poland called Sochachew, I guess that's where he came from.  Jews are quite
keen on ancestral lines, so you might succeed in tracking down a relevant
family name here.

Dr Hillary Shaw
School of Business, Management and Marketing
Harper Adams University College
Newport
Shropshire
TF10 8NB