This is a MapHist list message.
News: If you don't get messages anymore, go to http://www.maphist.nl for news
about the new MapHist Forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

On 12/26/2011 12:22 PM, Barry L. Ruderman wrote:
I recommend you look at Bill Reese's analyses of the items offered in the
Streeter sale and thereafter, which he tracks for roughly 40 years, as one
example of map and book price inflation for a different genre (Streeter Sale
Revisited--Catalog 257, and one thereafter, I believe).

There is a brief summary concerning the Streeter sales at: <http://www.americanaexchange.com/ae/AEMonthly/AEMonthlyArticleDetail.aspx?ReviewID=544&Type=Reviews&Month=11&Year=2007>. One can fairly question the conclusions drawn. This clearly represents a certain higher-end market niche. Everything being discussed still indicates that, in general, if you are looking for appreciation, one must head towards the higher end of the market, expect bubbles, and have the money to withstand downturns (sometimes prolonged). The whole idea of diversification within the old map market would be complex (and I understand that most savvy investors would diversify elsewhere) . I'm not convinced that any of these considerations improves on what was written by Nicholas Barker's 1960 article, "The Aesthetic Investor's Guide to Current Literary Values," for _The Book Collector_.

I would certainly agree that there are many ways to structure a collection, something long pointed out by others, including Rodney Shirley: <http://www.bimcc.org/articles/ten-key-points.htm> .

     Joel Kovarsky

Maphist mailing list
Maphist@geo.uu.nl