Have you tried simply embedding the map into coreldraw as an object?  It
allows you to even change your map once your in Coreldraw.  For layouts, I
print to a jpg file using superprint, and that produces an image that is
better than the original.

I've had the same problem as you when using "save window as" from the
layout
to CorelDraw 7.  I found that any polygons that had a patterned fill, as
opposed to a solid colour, were reproduced as a uniform shade of grey.
In the end the only solution I could find was to save the window as a
bitmap
(*.bmp) rather than a metafile.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a better solution.