Steven,

Who is doing the photogrammetry?  Is your photogrammetrist
doing "softcopy" aerotriangulation or are they using
analytical plotters?  Do you intend to use only rectified
imagery or are you going for orthophotos?  What type of
terrain are you working in?  Is this urban, rural, dessert,
forest, what?  What do you need to resolve?  Are you having
your imagery scanned by a professional mapping company that
uses a calibrated photogrammetric scanner?  What calibrated
focal length are you using from what altitude?  What is the
AWAR - Area Weighted Average Resolution of the mapping
camera?  Did it have IMC - Image Motion Compensation?  Was
it turned on for the flight?  What is the level of image
smear?  Who wrote the specifications for the photography?
 Is this color, color infrared, or panchromatic?

Is this a professional mapping project, or is some
secretary/typist going to stick paper prints into an
office-grade HP scanjet?

Just a detail or two would help ...

Clifford J. Mugnier ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Topographic Engineering Laboratory
UNIVERSITY OF NEW ORLEANS
New Orleans, Louisiana  70148

Voice and Facsimilie: (504) 280-7095

On Wednesday, 14 July, 1999 9:15 PM, Steven Heapy
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> Our Council has just had some aerial photography flown at
> 1:5000 and are
> investigating at what DPI we should have this scanned at
> ie 600 or 1200
> DPI
>
> We are currently testing both, obviously the 1200
requires
> more storage
> and cost but gives an improved image on the screen and
> prints better.
> However both images that are printed through MapInfo 5.5
> in the layout
> seem to loose a fair amount of quality compared to being
> printed in say
> Photo Editor.
>
> Also has anyone used and printed images compressed with
Mr