Tony,

I share your frustration that only base tables can be joined dynamically.

Occasionally, I've been able to get away from saving the selection by nesting
the selection in the SQL statement. This technique works well from lookup tables.
Below is an example format using a lookup table.

Select * From {Table} Where {Column} = Any (Select {Column} From {Lookup Table}
Where .......)

This will select all the items in the table that match it in the lookup table.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sue Port.
www.spatialplus.com