I hope nobody thinks this is an attempt to get someone else to do my
homework for me, but :-)
I have a big MapInfo  map of an archaeological site in upper Myanmar/Burma,
based originally on existing metric non-earth survey point data which  came
in eastings and northings. I have a point on this grid whose  Lat and Long
are known. This map is augmented with material from old 1940s maps (the only
ones available) and aerial photos. I now want to survey areas on the edge of
my site, with a hand-held GPS. I figure that  as I am using the database for
archaeological analysis and not trying for surveyor-type accuracy, my new
locations will be fine even if they're a couple of hundred metres off, so
hand-held GPS is ok. But  here's the problem.
How do I reconcile the metric UTM readings from my GPS with the metric
readings from my map grid? My first thought was to take UTM readings from
known points, which are also on the non-earth map made from the original
survey, and do the maths (a subject I usually rely on MapInfo and Excel to
do for me!)   If my  non-earth point at E 5,000m /N 10,000m is, say, UTM  E
657747 / N 2344792  on the GPS, any other UTM point east or north of that
datum can be converted to my non-earth coordinates by subtracting the number
I first thought of, as it were.
1. Does that make sense?
2. Is there a better way? A formula?
Bob H