Thanks Niel (and all) for your comments.
I did convert all the data to polylines and this worked OK but I shouldn't
have to do that!!
Creating duplicate datasets, goes against the grain.

The actual plots sent to the plotter were HPGL plotfiles created using the
v4.1 driver ie print to file.
The settings were to "in printer". It created 45Mb HPGL files which I zipped
up and copied to our remote server in Dampier (Nth West Aus.) A colleague in
our exploration office (where the plotter is situated), then copied the
plots to the HPDJ1055.

Lars Bagge Nielsen mentioned "try NT4.0 service pack 4. If not or also use
hp drivers which uses hpgl, fx hp2000 hpgl (rtl?)"

I am on that OS, but am not sure what he meant by fx?
Could he mean use the HP DJ 2000 series plotters drivers? Perhaps he could
elaborate.

I particularly liked Neil (MidNight Mapper) Havermale's comment!

Thanks again,
Chris

PS Funny, nobody has commented on the ProPress App.?

Chris Brown - Cartographer
Resource Development Division, Hamersley Iron P/L
152-158 St. George's Terrace,
Perth, Western Australia 6000
GPO Box A42,
Perth, Western Australia 6837