Fraser,
I can say I've started programming in MapBasic, but I'm far from done. I do
it in fits and starts mostly.  But, where to start seems simple enough:
start witht the MapBasic window in MapInfo. Just open it up, do a few
things, like run a query or open a file and see what text miraculously
appears in the MB Window.  Then tweek ("tweak?") the text and see what
happens.  Also, take a look at the workspace files you've created. Better
yet, create a really simple workspace, save it, then look at the text
created.  Maybe open the workspace into the MB Window and execute it line
by line.
Soon MapInfo and Windows and Western Civilization will at least hang and
likely crash, but that's all part of the fun.  If you get stumped, of
course, you can read the instructions in the help files or manual, but
don't rush into anything.

Tim Rood