Sylvia,

As you fetch a record and changing object style, you need to put object back
to the table.
Also, OldPen might be defined As Object instead of Pen

Update Temp Set obj = Oldpen Where RowId = RecCount

That should do....

Yas

 - - - - -

Our I.S. development group is working on AVL (automatic vehicle locator)
software using MapX.  We need to change the color of the streets depending
on the time of day. The base map needs to be displayed on a black screen at
night (laptop in vehicles). Does anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking two
maps - a day map and a night map. MapInfo wouldn't let me change all the
streets at once (am not upgrading to 5.5 until October if 5.5 is any
different). I'm trying to loop through in MapBasic with no success. I'm
missing something simple if anyone could help.

Include "mapbasic.def"
Dim OldPen As Pen
Dim RecCount as Integer
dim NewPen as pen
        NewPen = MakePen(1, 2, RED)
        Open Table "i:\data\countygis\083099\temp.tab" Interactive
        Fetch First From temp
        RecCount = 1
        Do
        OldPen = temp.obj
                Alter Object Oldpen
                   Info OBJ_INFO_Pen, NewPen
                RecCount = RecCount + 1
                Fetch next from temp
        Loop while RecCount <= TableInfo("temp", TAB_INFO_NROWS)

Sylvia Blair, Crime Analysis Coordinator
Seminole County Sheriff's Office
www.seminolesheriff.org <http://www.seminolesheriff.org>