I have compiled all the answers I received and they are as
        follows (a few are modified by me):

1)  Backup the projects or work you want to save off local drives.
2)  All the local drive mapping if the PC is on a network!
3)  Write down the Printer specifications / setting if you have changed / modified.
4) If using ODBC Connection , write down the specifications of DSN.
5)  In case you are using tools other than the installed, export the following key
using REGEDIT
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\tools
6) Or you are not formatting due to MapInfo then export
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MapInfo

        After exporting the branch you save the file and after formatting the PC ,
reinstall Windows, and
        just double click the file, all the information will be restored, even all
tools you have entered
        will be back.
7) Make a backof of following files

%windir%\nviews.txt             ;named views
%windir%\startup.wor    ;auto load on MI startup stuff

These files should be backed up if you've customized them:

...\mapinfo\mapinfow.prj                                ;projections
...\mapinfo\mapinfow.pen                                ;line styles
...\mapinfo\mapinfow.fnt                                ;fonts/symbols
...\mapinfo\mapinfow.clr                                ;colour (?)
...\mapinfo\mapinfow.abb                                ;abbreviations
...\mapinfo\tools\*                                     ;custom/downloaded toolboxes
(Use Registry to turn them back)
...\mapinfo\thmtmplt\ThemeTemplate.LST
...\mapinfo\thmtmplt\your_custom_theme1.thm
...\mapinfo\thmtmplt\your_custom_theme2.thm

        there are also a series of .FTS files in my MI directory which show recent
        date stamps, but I have no idea what they are for.

I think this checklist can be enough as far as MI is concern,
but do not forget to notedown LAN, DISPLAY Drivers, SOUND Drivers, IP Address etc.
of your PC

Thanks to Pete, Eric Frost, Mats Elfström , Matt.Wilkie and Eric Maranne and Bill for
their
contribution.

Aditya
Executive (Systems)