Hello list,

Some recent discussions about the new ArcINFO 8 and what is and isn't a
'real' GIS have led me back to an old question.  I thought I'd pose it here
and see what happens:

Q:  What can ArcINFO do that MapInfo can not?

I haven't used AI in several years, and I've seen so many tools, utilities,
and workarounds in MapInfo.  About 5 years ago I realized I COULD do
everything that was required of me at the time using MapInfo - much easier
than Arc stuff.  All GIS products have changed dramatically in the past 5
years.  I understand that AI has topology, and some of the benefits of this,
but again there seem to be cleverly programmed workarounds that emulate
topology in both ArcView and MapInfo.  I'm really interested in applied
differences - i.e. what can you not accomplish in MI that you can accomplish
in AI?  And this thought can extend to TIN and GRID vs Vertical Mapper (or
Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst for that matter).  As a company we'll
probably get back in on ArcINFO when the redesigned version comes out if it
is all it is cracked up to be.  But we will remain MapInfo based.

At $18,000 vs $1,300 I'm hoping for a long list (but not really expecting
one).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Will Mitchell
GIS Manager