Thank you to the MapInfo community for their response to my query about
offset printing MapInfo layouts.  I'll summarize the responses.

*       The Mapublisher/Adobe Illustrator was mentioned as a solution, but
it seems problematic in several areas. Mapinfo's RGB color mode is not
easily converted to offset printing's CMYK color scheme. Also, Mapublisher
apparently doesn't deal with layouts, only tables. This may mean I have to
rebuild the map in Mapublisher.
*       A simpler option offered was to skip Mapublisher and just load the
PDF into Illustrator. Illustrator has much better tools for tweeking the
appearance of your map. I tried this. A problem I found when loading a PDF
into the trial version of Illustrator was the disappearance of my True Type
well symbols. For me, that kills it right there.
*       Another method is to get a printer driver from the vendor that is
going to do the printing. Load the driver, then print "to file", give the
vendor the .prn file, and they will do the separarions.
*        The final option; just send the PDF file to the printer. The
printer can create the color separations directly from the PDF file. I've
been using Distiller for some time now to post maps to our web page, so no
further software purchasing in needed. I hope this method works; it'll save
$800-1000 in software purchases. These last two options are similar. I like
the PDF method because I see what a PDF file will look like; I can't look at
a PRN file (can I?).

        Thanks listers, you've come through again; especially Jason McMahan,
Ton Brouwer, Ahmet Dabanli, Tracy Walklet, Heidi Kalin, Patrick Phillips,
Dawn Hendrick, Chris Perry, and Dan Laux.

        Jim Spriggs
        Research Analyst (GIS)
        California Division of Oil & Gas