Sarah:  I've come across a few cases where I had imported a file into MapInfo, and had
saved it without doing any edits, but when I came back to reopen and edit it, the file
seemed to be "read-only".  Work-around seemed to be: save a copy of the file ("save
copy as" ) from MapInfo.  Then, using the copy, everything seems to work OK.

Was and have been too busy to track down what was really going on.  In my case, the
files were .DBFs and .XLSs.

...good luck   ...Bob

Robert Karr
Science Research Assistant