Frank Tanser wrote:

<<  I have imported some vector polygons into mapinfo which were created in a
raster environment and are therefore jagged.  The imported polygon boundaries
are formed by raster approximations of a number of original line features
(roads and rivers etc.).  I would like to know if anyone has developed an
application that will take the jagged boundaries and 'clean' them by snapping
to the nearest node in the original line files. >>

Take a look at the results from the MapTools "Region Extraction Tool" - at
the URL:
  http://members.aol.com/maptools/rtv21d2.html

This web page shows a "before and after" resulting from line simplification
of region outlines. The "before" exhibits the jagged outlines you describe -
the after shows the result of "simplifying" the outlines. Notice that the
result polygons show none of the "sliver and overlap" common to other
raster-to-vector techniques.

  Robert Edwards
  The MapTools Company