Roy,

You most likely are displaying GPS positions with respect to WGS84.  Your USGS DRGs
are most likely being displayed with respect to NAD27.  This incompatibility explains
the shift of a couple of hundred feet (~200 maximum within the US) in longitude.

You can either 1) change the coordinate system within MapInfo or 2) change the
reference datum within your GPS receiver interface.

Good luck,
Jeff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]