On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Berk Charlton wrote:

> My question:  How do I do this in Mapinfo using multiple demographic
> variables. A Mapinfo tech support guy assured me that this could only
> be done ONE VARIABLE AT A TIME using the "update column" menu.
> Surely this can't be so, in a package that positions itself as a
> business GIS tool.

Well, you can work with multiple variables in the SQL Select menu, and
then use the update column to upate from your selection.

Also, open the mapbasic window, so you can see the MapBasic code that the
SQL action generates.

Thirdly, download the KGM Utilities from the MapInfo-L FTP Site (should be
a link from my web page) There is a utility that does multiple Column
updates, as I recall. Not sure if that particular utility will meet your
needs, but the KGM Utilities are essential to have. (KGM: are you still on
this list? Thanks for all that work you did. We miss you!)

Fourthly, and (definitely do this) order Jacques Paris' book on the
Mapbasic window. You can find it linked to the Books section of my web
page. Oops. Office move and summer vacation. Their web page says to call
514 808-5663 or write at [EMAIL PROTECTED] [Hey Jacques: can we order your
book now? I've lost mine: must've loaned it to someone.]

Yes: I have a forgettable web page address. I've made a more memorable
alias, though, via
http://hello.to/maps

> Thanks for any help,

Hope this helps!

            Marjorie Roswell, Spatial Analyst
UMBC Center for Health Program Development and Management
1000 Hilltop Circle                     Fx: (410)455-6850
Baltimore, MD 21250                   E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ph: (410)455-6802    http://umbc.edu/~roswell/mipage.html