Hi List,
Thanks to Tim Nuteson, Steve Wallace, George Smith, Yannick Leduc, Jason
Adams, Scott Barling, Jose Louis Armero, and  Chris Martin for their

QUESTION:
 In the MI help this is what it says... straight from the online help.  Can
anyone shed some light on #3?
Erasing An Object Or Portion Of An Object
You can erase either closed objects (regions, ellipses, rectangles, rounded
rectangles)
or open objects (polylines, lines and arcs) using the Erase command.  You
cannot use
Erase on points or text objects.
To erase an object or a portion of an object:
1. From Map > Layer Control, make the layer editable.
2. Select the object(s) to be the target for editing, and choose objects >
set target.
3. Create and select the erasing object (or use objects from the same or
another layer).
 The erasing object must be closed.
4. Choose Objects  > Erase.
5. At the Data Disaggregation dialog, set the field functions to be either
blank, value
or area proportion.
6. Click OK.
The target object will now be erased where the erasing object was.

 Create and Select the erasing object?!?!?  I only have 1 object to select
(thought that was the one I selected in #2) and then I want to erase river
boundaries within the state boundary, they are on the same layer, is that
my problem?

ANSWER:
Having everything on one layer is no problem, but you have to make sure
everything is a polygon, not just lines in this case.

>Make your layers with the Rivers EDITABLE (layer control). Select all your
>rivers you want to delete and press ^T to set them as a target. Click on
>your state boundary, the choose "Object > Erase" from the menu. That will
>do it.

In #2 you should have selected the river boundaries that you want to delete
and set them as the target.

#3 is saying that you should select the object you want to use as the
cutting boundary (your state boundary) or create a new polygon around the
rivers the boundary must be a closed polygon.