Dear Richard,
We've had a nightmare being able to print out thematic grid maps from
MapInfo 5.5 using a Hewlett Packard DesignJet 650C - i.e. nothing legible
comes out the other end when before with v5.0 everything worked fine.

I know people on the list have commented over the improved accuracy in
object analysis results and that performance isn't everything, but I
couldn't give a monkey's to that (and that is saying something for a person
who has invested alot of time and effort in making sure that we have systems
in place that ensure that outputs are accurate or contain some form of
uncertaincy flag as to the accuracy) if,
* clipping a map now requires you to stop everything you are doing, sit
around for one hour whilst it redraws in the map window and sends the
results off to your printer (running on NT, 248Mg RAM, 266Mhz Pentium II).
This previously took less than a minute using the same set up and v5.0
* only to appear as a mess of black and white if you have tried to print off
a thematic grid map.
* Maps that do not contain thematic grid results also appear to take far
longer to draw.

I've heard that problems with v5.5 and HP plotters does exist and would be
grateful if ANYONE out there could provide the solution to our woes.  At the
moment we are all still sitting here with v5.0 as the requirement to print
out thematic grid results is quite large.  The requirement to sit around
appearing to do something also is something that pleases my boss (an
operation that is difficult with v5.5 when you are sat twiddling your thumbs
waiting for a map to finish being sent to the printer).

At the moment I've yet to be convinced that the money I have spent is making
the solutions and outputs I and my team regularly have to perform more
valued and accurate as a result of an upgrade......

I have even had to dedicate an officer to work out for us whether upgrading
to 5.5 (which I have bought for the whole team) is to be a worthwhile
experience, how can we combat our woes, or do we abort, go back to v5.0 (or
even buy ArcView !!!) and send v5.5 back from where it came asking for our
money back.

Regards,
Spencer Chainey
Corporate GIS Manager