Thanks for all of the responses,
        I appologize for having my intentions split between 2 postings.  My
goal here is to maintain one set of files that can be used accross both MI
Pro and Map X platforms.  The pitfalls I've encountered so far are as
follows:

-- Native is ideal for MI Pro, but is prohibitively slow to browse through
VB/Map X grid display
-- DBF browses fine through VB/Map X, but we do need to maintain the .DAT
OLE connection with VFox Pro databases (Bob) as well as long column headers.

-- We thought access might be an option except for the fact that only one
user can open the access MDB in MI Pro at a time.  Our applications have
many users accessing a file at any given time.

Any further ideas on possible solutions will be greatly appreciated, and
thanks for the feedback.

-Mike Perry