Robert,
Re: Virtual City SW
A couple of years ago I tested a MI plug in called PAVAN. It plugs in to MI
like other external apps (say, Named Views) but it's much cooler.  I used
it with local building footprint data and DEMs to recreate a 3D image of a
neighborhood I was working with. I never got to the draping of photos over
the building fronts and that sort of thing, but you could walk through the
image, look down from any height or angle, etc.
It worked by loading into MI and had it's own pull down menus that allow
you to set up the image you want.  Then you compile the image and look at
it with a browser plug in called CosmoPlayer.  The "real" application is to
get these images on web sites (thus the browser connection), but it's easy
to use "locally," too.  The compiled image material is very compact in
size, allowing easy downloads for those web applications.
The person who worked on this is Steve Smith (Steve, you there?).  He's
located in Wales and he was a pretty regular participant in this list for
quite a while. They had a web site, but I can't remember the URL this
minute.  You'll be able to find it though, there aren't too many PAVANs out
there, I'm sure.  If you're interested drop me a line and I'll find out
more about it by looking through my files.