Hey all.  I got it working and this info may help others.  It seems that you
need to add some lines to the hdr file for mapinfo.

the hdr file consists of the following
nrows 7586
ncols 6008
ulxmap  446398.00
ulymap 4442130.00
xdim       1.00
ydim       1.00
skipbytes 24032

You need to add the following lines to the bottom of the above or mapinfo
will give you a rastor error when loading. (info is for greyscale)
nbands 1
nbits 8
band_rgb 1 1 1

I used worldreg to register them.  (Tony Cooley at Data Directions who sell
worldreg was able to give me this info)