Anne,

The Census itself provides counts by Socio-Economic Group (SEG). These are
as follows:

SEG 1 (Employers and managers in large establishments)
SEG 2 (Employers and managers in small establishments)
SEG 3 (Professional workers - self-employed)
SEG 4 (Professional workers - employees)
SEG 5.1 (Ancillary workers and artists)
SEG 5.2 (Foremen and supervisors - non-manual)
SEG 6 (Junior non-manual workers)
SEG 7 (Personal service workers)
SEG 8 (Foremen and supervisors - manual)
SEG 9 (Skilled manual workers)
SEG 10 (Semi-skilled manual workers)
SEG 11 (Unskilled manual workers)
SEG 12 (Own account workers other than professionals)
SEG 13 (Farmers - employees and managers)
SEG 14 (Farmers - own account)
SEG 15 (Agricultural workers)
SEG 16 (Members of armed forces)
SEG 17 (Inadequately described and not stated occupations)

These can be aggregated to an approximation of the JICNARS social class
categories (or "Social Grade" categories) which are widely recognised in the
UK. The categories are A, B, C1, C2, D and E, where A and B are the highest
groups (wealthy, professional) and D and E are the lowest.

Unfortunately, the 1991 Census does not contain any individual questions
relating to income or lifestyle directly. The SEG groups are the closest
single approximation of standard of living. However, a number of
geodemographic classifications have been developed that use a range of
different Census variables (Age, Marital Status, Household Composition,
Employment Type, Car ownership, Housing Tenure etc) and other variables, and
are widely used for customer profiling and site selection purposes.

The two most commonly used geodemographic classifiers are ACORN (from CACI)
and MOSAIC (from Experian).

ACORN is derived purely from the Census, and can be obtained at ED or at
Postcode Sector level. The main ACORN categories are:

A - Thriving (Sub-groups include "Wealthy Achievers, Suburban Areas")
B - Expanding (Sub-groups include "Affluent Executives, Family Areas")
C - Rising (Sub-groups include "Prosperous Professionals, Metropolitan
Areas")
D - Settling (Sub-groups include "Comfortable Middle Agers, Mature Home
Owning Areas")
E - Aspiring (Sub-groups include "White Collar Workers, Better-Off
Multi-Ethnic Areas")
F - Striving (Sub-groups include "Council Estate Residents, High
Unemployment")

The ACORN hierarchy consists of 6 Categories, 17 Groups and 54 Types.

MOSAIC is somewhat different in that it has been developed not just from the
Census but also from a number of other sources including County Court
judgements, Credit activity and Electoral roll details. This additional
information means that MOSAIC can be used down to individual postcode level
(avg 15 households) - a resolution finer than ED (census tract) level (avg
150 households).

The main MOSAIC groups are:

L1 - High Income Familes
L2 - Suburban Semis
L3 - Blue Collar Owners
L4 - Low Rise Council
L5 - Council Flats
L6 - Victorian Low Status
L7 - Town Houses & Flats
L8 - Stylish Singles
L9 - Independent Elders
L10 - Mortgaged Families
L11 - Country Dwellers
L12 - Institutional Areas

The MOSAIC hierarchy consists of 12 Groups and 52 Types.

You may like to look up our website on www.geoweb.co.uk If you look at the
Data section there are more details on both products.

I hope this helps you in your quest!

Best Wishes and good luck,

Graham Smith

Business Geographics Limited, 8-10 Dryden Street, LONDON, WC2E 9NA
Phone +44 (0)171 - 520-5800, Fax +44 (0)171 - 520-5801, URL www.geoweb.co.uk