Hello list,

This is a spatial statistics question!  I have a point file composed of
randomly plotted points.  There are 65 points in total.  I need to calculate
the inter-event distance between these points.  From what I understand, the
inter-event distance is the average distance of all the distances from any
one point to all the other points.  If I have 65 points (n), we could say
that there are .5n(n-1) or .5X65 (65-1) = 2080 distances.  Once I have this
number of distances, I am looking for a fast way to measure these 2080
distances.  I have X, Y of the points so I could use the Pathagoras to
calculate the 2080 distances, but only one at a time.  This seems too labor
intensive though.
Then I need to sum the distances, and finally divide the sum by 2080, in
order to give me an average inter-event distance.  The order by which I
choose points is irrelevant - it's stochastic.  Does any body know of a
quick way to calculate the 2080 distances if I know the X and Y of each
point?  Again, the pathagoream theorem will work here, but I would have to
do the calculations one at a time.  I have spoken to others about this, and
they suggested using Excel to calculate the function.  Perhaps there is a
way in MapInfo though?

Many thanks,

Jon Spinney