Dear Stephen

ArcInfo coords are held in floating point and are accurate to 14
significant figures. When you import to MapInfo this gets converted to
long integer.

MapInfo holds a "step size" and up to 2,000,000,000 steps. For example
if you want to map an area of 2000 km by 2000 km then if you set a
bounding rectangle on your map projection to this your "step" becomes 1
millimeter. If you bound your projection to 4000 km square your "step"
is 2mm and so on.

If you don't "bound" the projection your step is the world chopped into
2,000,000,000 steps.

The short answer is yes, but if you can limit the MBR, accuracy is still
very acceptable and of course file sizes are smaller.

Bob
By Design

In message <00d701bf30fd$c68187a0$0400a8c0@steve>, Stephen R.Ford
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes