On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Bill Thoen wrote:

> If we must have this format rammed down our throats, I would like to see
> it so easy to use that federal state, county and municipal governments
> would prefer to use it when offering their data to the public than E00 (a
> proprietary format) or MapInfo TAB (another proprietary format), or
> anything that requires expensive, proprietary software. Now that Sol Katz
> is no longer with us, who do we have out there who will step up and
> provide public support for this public format?  If you think you might be
> interested, take a look at this data format beastie at
> http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/sdts/.

Bill,

  As a member of the GRASS development team, this is of interest. While I
don't have the time to work on this nest of snakes, I'd like to post this on
the GRASSlist and see who might step up.  There might be some hapless grad
student at Baylor <g> who could be coerced into working on it.

  This would also fit into the plans to release a GPL GRASS for the
Win9x/Nx/2x platforms, too.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)