I have a question about graphic packages. So far we have been able to do all of
our printing directly from MapInfo to our HP Deskjet 1120c. However we are also
becoming interested in producing  quality output maps and images for printing on
larger then 11x17 format.  After downloading the AdobePS 5.1 postscript printer
driver I am now able to write a file from MI to Acrobat PDF writer and produce a
PDF file which can be viewed in Acrobat Reader. My question is what graphics
package  is most compatible to use for editing PDF files for quality output?
I've read on the list  people mentioning  Abobe Illustrator, what about Abobe
Photoshop? Which would be more suitable and more convenient for producing
publishable maps or images? We also might be needing to print out raster photo
images and right now we are getting by with Corel PhotoPaint 6.0 but need to
upgrade. Is it necessary to have both Abobe Illustrator and another raster
graphics package such as Abobe Photoshop or Corel PhotoPaint or will Abobe
Illustrator be sufficient for editing pdf files and printing photo raster images
in TIF format? I'm I also going to need MapPublisher with Abobe Illustrator for
the MI maps or can I get by with just saving my MI maps into PDF files? As you
can see I'm a newbie when it comes to graphic packages so I'm not sure what the
differences are between Illustrator and Photoshop, any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dan Page