I've received an inquiry about locating fire stations based on the travel
time to properties in its vicinity.  I don't know the exact problem they
need to solve, but it's of the nature of  "We need to site a fire station
so that its coverage territory minimizes the overlap with the coverage
territory of other stations we have and is within five minutes travel on
the street network of any property in its coverage territory."  I haven't
done this kind of analysis before and it would seem like the street network
data would have to be somewhat richer than your standard street centerline
data; it might include road width, lanes, signals (not that fire trucks
would stop for them, but....), traffic direction (i.e., one way streets,
etc.) and other things that might have an impact on moving one or many fire
trucks around town.  Of course, responding is not the only aspect of site a
fire station, but I think I'm more well-prepared to deal with the land use,
zoning and development issues involved than with the time/distance part.
If you know a little bit about this subject, I would appreciate your advise
on applications and data sources for doing this kind of analysis.
Thanks,

Tim Rood
Ravenna Planning Associates
5417 21st Avenue NE