Tim,

we have a tool called GIS-Plan to do just that.
GIS-Plan is a tool to generate territories from points or centroids of
regions or lines/polylines. Thus, GIS-Plan can find the optimal location of
one or more fire station sites based on drivetime and with regard to other
(already existing) fire stations. Additionally, the tool calculates the
actual drive time to each base unit (such as a street segment, a block or an
individual house) from the site and also assigns the base units to a site.
It could also be set up in a way to calculate the fastest route to an
incident on demand, with alternatives in cases where the primary site is not
available (eg once it already handles another fire...).

GIS-Plan runs within MapInfo, and can thus handle any MapInfo data with an
object attached to it. If you don't want to use MapInfo, GIS-Plan is also
available as a SDK, consisting of a number of DLLs, the binary road network
and documentation.

Territories can be generated with regard to the following parameters:
*       Optimization based on a road network: shortest, fastest, cheapest
path (different levels of road networks are an option)
*       The number of generated territories can be set to a given number,
or, the number can be determined by balancing attribute data of the base
units.

Additionally, the optimal location of a site within a territory can be
planned. Existing sites can be taken into account, thus forcing the tool to
plan optimal territories around those locations

The network used is a binary road network, attributed with all necessary
routing information such as speed categories, one way streets, turning
restrictions etc. This data is usually derived from NavTech data, but can
basically be generated from other sources, provided is has the necessary
attributes.

If you need any further information, please don't hesitate to contact me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED], or our sales department at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cheers,
Andreas

 Andreas Mahn
 DDS GmbH