Iain,

The Namibian Datum is based on the origin point, "Schwarzek"  near Gobabis
where:

Lat = -22* 45' 35.820" South,
Lon = +18* 40' 34.549" East of Greenwich.

The ellipsoid of reference is the Bessel 1841, but it was implemented with the
"Legal Metre."  When expressed in International meters (S.I.),
a = 6,377,483.865 meters
b = 6,356,165.383 meters.

The transformation from the Nabibian Datum to WGS84 is:

dX = +616.6 meters, +/- 1.3 m.,
dY = +103.0 meters, +/- 1.3 m.,
dZ = -256.6 meters, +/- 1.3 m.

(Higher order transformations exist in the literature, but are not recommended
for practical use in Namibia).

The Grid System used is the "Southwest Africa Belts."

Math model used is the Gauss-Kruger Transverse Mercator.

Central Meridians: 13*E, 15*E, 17*E, 19*E, 21*E, 23*E, and 25*E,
Scale Factor @ Origin is Unity,
False Northing Latitude @ Origin is -22* 00'00" South,
False Easting and False Northing are zero.

If you contact them at:

Surveyor General,
Directorate of Surveys
Private Bag 13182
9000 Windhoek
Republic of Namibia,

>>>-----> Don't forget to write in German!!! <-----<<<

For other countries, I publish monthly in "Photogrammetrc Engineering and Remote
Sensing."  My column is called Grids and Datums, and a number of past issues are
available from the society's web site at:

http://www.asprs.org/resources.html

I did nearby Mozambique (Portuguese stuff) in September 1999, and Madagascar
(French stuff) is available for free downloads from this month's issue (Feb
2000).  Consider joining the society; it's the best journal in English that
covers the entire field of GIS.  Plus, it's the only one that features me! :-)

Viel Gluck!

--
Clifford J. Mugnier ([EMAIL PROTECTED])       Clifford J. Mugnier ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Topographic Engineering Laboratory    Surveying, Geodesy & Photogrammetry

Voice (504) 280-7095                      Voice (225) 388-8536