Hi,

I am seeking assistance in the use of the SearchPoint and SearchRect
commands in MapBasic please. My main problem is that I cannot guarantee
correct or predictable results.

I have a lines map and a points map. The lines maps represents a sewer
system and the points map represents the access points at the ends of
the lines. I am wanting to determine the points at the end of each line,
so that I can verify flow direction.

I have written the mapbasic code to successfully do this using the
CreateCircle function and geographical analysis commands; however; it
takes some 50+ hours to run in NT 4 on a Pentium III at 500mhz and 250mb
RAM for 30,000 sewer lines. This equates to approx 1.8 billion
comparisons.

The problem I am having with the search commands is that they do not
always yield correct results, and are unpredictable. As stated in the
texts, the SearchPoint function relies on a pixel distance for
determining points selection. This depends on zoom width. However,
having specified the SearchRectangle coordinates, I would expect to
overcome the use of pixels, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards ...
John van Uitregt,  GIS Analyst
Logan City Council, Queensland, Australia
Tel. 61-7-38265138 Fax 61-7-38080014
Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Site: http://www.logan.qld.gov.au

the system manager.