Andrew,

My guess is that you may have mixed up the order of the components of your
coordinates in some way.  For example,

Your BNG example for

X = 429362.55
Y = 414762.18

correctly corresponds to

Lat = 53* 37' 41.9919" N
Lon = -1* 33' 21.4452" W.

If we swap Lat and Long components and compute an inverse we get:

X = 7889856.582 (not even close to your problem), and

Y = -5,833,524.920 which is suspiciously close to your problem.

The reason I point this out is that some software likes cartesian coordinates to
be entered Easting, Northing, some requires Northing, Easting.

Just a thought.

--
Clifford J. Mugnier ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Topographic Engineering Laboratory