From: Doyle, Peter W
To: 'Mapinfo-L'
Subject: MI Workspace regression utility
Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 1:12AM

Greetings,

        Recently I have noticed there are a number of people inquiring about
how to open a Workspace that was created by a later version of MapInfo.

        As most of us are probably aware, the process is relatively simple
yet time consuming. Eg. use a text editor to edit the header of the
workspace, and
        then try to eliminate those lines that are not supported be earlier
versions. (can be frustrating at times).

        As I have a need to do this quite often, I decided to automate the
process by writing a simple MapBasic utility.  I have taken a very
simplistic approach -

        1) Read in the workspace
        2) Change the header
        3) Disregard all lines except for the table information
        4) Save out to new workspace

        You are left with a stripped down workspace that should load into
any MapInfo version, although you have now lost any formatting, layouts etc.

        If you think this may suite your needs, or you just want to check it
out, Email me directly and I will forward it to you. Someone may even like
to build
        on the idea?

        If there is enough interest I will upload it to the Mapinfo-L site

Regards

Peter Doyle
TELSTRA
OnAir Networks Queensland
Geographical Information Systems & Mapping
'  +61 7  34064304
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]