Matthew,
    I have two sources you can download Bathy data from depending on your
needs. The first is from the US Naval Oceanographic Offices webpage at
http://128.160.28.42/dbdbv/dbdbv.html
It is a gridded data set that can be used to create contours.

The second is from the National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC)in Boulder,
CO. at
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/geodas
This is discrete point soundings taken by various vessels and submitted to
NGDC.

In both cases you define the area you are interested in and then download
that dataset.
Both can be downloaded in an ASCII XYZ file that MAPINFO sould be able to
read.

The gridded data set from the Oceanographic Office is in meters with an
assumed sound velocity of 1500meters/sec. (standard)

The discrete point soundings,I think, can also be downloaded in meters @1500
meters/sec.

Hope this helps.

Dan Donnell