I had a similar scenario where I wanted to remind people to use copyright
Info. I actually replaced the "Print" in the menu with my own "print" (using
alter menu) incorporating a message box and then the run menu command (112)
for "print"
You could replace the print statement with code checking for a layout or map
window and then carries on with the print (or exits sub in the case of a map
window)
To enforce the program place the following type of line into a startup.wor
(either in the Windows or MapInfo directory)

Run Application "c:\mapinfo\tools\printreplace.mbx"

I hope this helps

Tim Chinchen (GIS Systems Developer)
I.T. Services Bournemouth Borough Council
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Include "mapbasic.def"
Include "icons.def"
Include "menu.def"
Declare sub MAIN
Declare sub PrintWithCopright
Declare sub ExitWithCopright
Declare sub PrintSetupWithCopright

sub Main
        alter menu "File" Remove 111
        alter menu "File" Remove 112
        alter menu "File" Remove 113
        alter menu "file" add "(-"
        alter menu "File" add "Page Setup" calling PrintSetupWithCopright
        alter menu "File" add "Print" calling PrintWithCopright
        alter menu "file" add "(-"
        alter menu "File" add "Exit" calling ExitWithCopright
        alter ButtonPad "standard" remove M_FILE_PRINT
        alter ButtonPad "Standard"
                add separator
                pushbutton
                Icon 41
                calling PrintWithCopright
                helpmsg "Bournemouth Borough Council - Print (Remember OS ©
Crown Copyright)"
End Sub

Sub PrintWithCopright
        Note "Please remember © Copyright"