Brendan,

The four old datums are New Bulgarian 1928, Observatorio
Astronomico Militari Bucharasti, New Romanian 1930, and
Kustendil.  I would guess the most recent is the "System
42" based on the Krassovski ellipsoid.

I have an Astro position, "Chernyy Verkh" at

Lat = 43* 33' 54.55"N
Lon = 23* 16' 51.96"E

which is the origin point of the New Bulgarian Datum of
1928, and is referenced to the International ellipsoid.  If
they followed the lead of the Romanians and the Poles, this
is the origin of the new 1970 system in Bulgaria.

The Romanian Planuri Directuri (sp?) Lambert Conformal
Conic is on the Observatorio Datum and is referenced to the
Clarke 1880 Romanian modified ellipsoid.

The "Kronstadt Oblique Stereographic of 1934" is on the New
Romanian Datum of 1930, and the math model of the
projection is the Rousilhe Stereographic favored by the
French Navy.  (Internaitonal ellipsoid again.)  In 1970,
the Romanians picked up the Hristow math model in "Stereo
70."

The rest is like I said, G-K TM.  No polyconics.

In 1970, the Poles and the Romanians BOTH picked up the
Hristow Oblique Stereographic.  If the Bulgarians did
something strange, my guess would be the Hristow, not the
Polyconic.  It looks like a conic projection on a
large-scale topo map and is frequently mistaken for Lambert
or Polyconic.  Stereographic is the standard projection and
Grid for circularly shaped countries all over the world.  I
would think that the Warsaw Pact dudes read the same books
as me ...

Oh, and by the way,  Prof. Hristow was Bulgarian.  He wrote
in German, he published in Austrian geodetic stuff, but he
taught in Sofia.

I don't think they EVER used Hassler's Polyconic.  Maybe
Lallemond's Polyconic for IMW stuff before WWII.

Clifford J. Mugnier ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Topographic Engineering Laboratory
UNIVERSITY OF NEW ORLEANS
New Orleans, Louisiana  70148

Voice and Facsimilie: (504) 280-7095
-------------
On Wednesday, 23 February, 2000 2:26 AM, Brendan wrote:
> Cliff,
>
> Many thanks for the response,
>
> I will endeavour to get more data from my contacts.  All
> know about the
> 1970 system came in an email, this is the relevant bit
>
> "The official projection used in Bulgaria is called
SYSTEM
> 1970 and is some
> >kind of polyconic projection with secret parameters.
> >Although we have been
> >trying to get a clue on what these might be for
something
> >like 3 years we
> >couldn't get any information on that from the Military
> >Topographic Service
> >and other institutions. However, there is a large number
> >of (in theory)
> >secret black box programmes that would convert your data
> >in either LL or
> >some other global projection."
>
> I do not have any of these "black boxes" but will try to
> get some.
>
> Probably very naively, I read your your Uzbekistan paper
> and assuming USSR/
> Warsaw pact monolith worked out the two UTM type
> projections with the
> Krassovsky and the central scale factor of 1 which might
> be applicable to
> Bulgaria.
>
> I will look again in PE&RS for the Four datums in
Bulgaria