Hello,

I just joined the list and I'm hoping someone can help me with this
situation.

We have completed a very detailed Open Space Map of the City of Boston and
are trying to send it to a print shop for high-quality printing.  The map is
ANSI E size and we need to print 500 copies.

After much trouble locating the proper postscript driver, we were able to
create a valid EPS file.  But, since MI works with RGB colors there is a
need to convert the image to CYMK colors to produce the offset plates.

I was told by someone at the print shop that merely using the "convert to
CYMK" command in Illustrator will not work because the blacks will not fully
convert to CYMK black.  Nor will the "Overwrite black" command. He said the
only solution is to manually select each black object and change its color
to 100% black.  There are over 15,000 black objects on the map and this is
not a practical solution.

After reviewing the MI-list archives, I downloaded MAPublisher, trial
version, but that doesn't seem like it will help at this point.  We really
don't want to rebuild the map layout.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is there a reasonably affordable
way to produce 500 ANSI E prints of high-quality?

Also, we used Arial fonts in MI, which I don't think is a postscript font.
Is this going to be a problem?

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Tim Smith
Urban Wilds Project Manager
Boston Parks
617-635-4505, ext. 6511