Greetings,
A few days ago I asked about doing advanced mathematical operations in
MapBasic.  I received one reply and some additional help from colleagues at
work.  My needs were to do interpolation, sorting and matrix inversion,
among others.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (sorry, I lost the name) recommended any of the
"Numerical Recipes" books that are available.  I had forgotten about these
books and that was a welcome reminder.

I then found, unfortunately, that MapBasic cannot handle multi-dimensional
arrays.  So much for inverting a matrix.

Some office mates made the following suggestions:

[1]  Switch to ArcView and work in Map Object (which we have).

[2]  Work in MapX (which we don't have).

[3]  Work in VB and run MapInfo in a VB shell.

[4]  Do all operations manually off-line in Excel and/or Maple, MatLab,
etc..

[5]  Switch to SAS/GIS (which we have).

MapX turned out to not be a feasible option because of expense (we are a
dot-edu).  I decided, instead on [3].  I should be able to write all of the
advanced operations in VB and write a VB shell that will run both the VB
and MI code.

Thanks again for the suggestion (and the overall friendly and helpful
atmosphere in the list).
Steve Riese