List,

I'd like to recommend SMMS3.0 by RTS Networks USA
(http://www.rtsnetworksusa.com/html/smms3oh/smms.htm) as a possible solution
to you metadata problem .  It collects metadata in FGDC standards and also
outputs reports in html for publishing on the internet.  It has the
capability which allows you extract metadata from the files and to view them
in a small dynamic window within the tool.

They are currently doing this with ArcView files but unfortunately they have
had difficulty getting MapInfo to work with then to allow this same
capability for TAB files. I don't know all the details, but MI should think
twice before closing the door on a tool that can do this.

I've been using it for a couple of years now and have been impressed with
their response to the users request for changes.

Roberto C. Alvarez
Southern California Edison
100 N. Long Beach Blvd., Room 311
Long Beach  CA 90802