Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry that I've taken so long to post this summary (I posted my
original question on 2/17 - I've included it below), but the problem
wasn't solved until a couple of days ago. Thanks to all who offered
solutions; one suggestion was to purchase a copy of the SuperPrint
driver for my plotter from www.zenographics.com. I purchased and loaded
the driver, then attempted to print, but after a small amount of the
file printed, an "illegal operation" message appeared and printing
stopped. Seemed to be worse than the original HP driver. I went looking
on the ZenoGraphics
web site for a tech support phone number, and found that their support
consisted of some FAQ's and other documents, or you can post a question
to their "discussion group" which they say someone from their company
will answer. In one of their documents they said something like "check
and see if you are using an ECP printer port" and included a link to
MS's knowledge base. Followed that link. MS says that if you are
printing through an ECP port to a device that cannot handle the output
speed of the port, it can cause the spooler to hang, or produce garbled
output, among other problems. They offer instructions on how to
reconfigure the port as a non-ECP port. Fortunately, I have a second,
older, non ECP port on my machine. Hooked the plotter up to that port,
reset the driver to use LPT2, and presto, problem solved. The plot
completed and output was excellent. I have the feeling that switching to
that non ECP port might have solved the problem without using the new
SuperPrint driver, but I have not had time yet to test that. Connected
to the ECP, sometimes I could print 3 or 4 plots before the problem
would arise (with the stock driver).

The SuperPrint driver solution has its pros and cons. Pros: much more
control over output, such as half toning, adjustments for sharpness,
lightness, contrast, color saturation, etc. Output looks better color
wise, no question. Cons: it costs $595, and tech support is minimal. I
saw questions posted to the tech support discussion group that had gone
unanswered for 2 weeks!!! (Apparently someone finally got around to
answering them yesterday). If anyone has similar problems with their DJ
650C, I suggest checking what type port you have, and try either using a
non ECP port, or reconfigure the port to a non ECP type, before spending
$595 for SuperPrint.