Thanks to Tom , Greg and all the others who replied to this, Before I
needed to try world reg  I cracked the problem using MI 5.5 and MrSid
viewer 2.0 for PC,

I had sid files without the needed tab files. I can see the images
have co-ordinate information as I move the pointer, this info is held
in the .sdw files, I tried to export a tiff from the the viewer but
it would would only generate .tfw  (world ) files for use with Arc
View. If, however, you view the whole image in the viewer and open
the export window dialogue box it gives the co-ordinate location for
top, bottom, left and right edges. I had no projection info (which I
suspect would be given if a tab file could be created and then opened
in a text editor) Since the co-ordinates given were clearly UK Ord
Survey, I opened the sid file In MI Pro 5.5 and selected the register
option and guessed the  co-ordinate / projection as British OS. I
then zoomed right into pixel view and made my first point the top
left hand corner, assigning the left and top co-ordinate, moving
around each corner in turn, the image opened and I overlayed some
distinct polygon vector stuff, it displayed in the right area and was
the correct shape, I then did the same trick on adjacent Sid files
which all appear to tile perfectly.

Any UK users wanting to practice this routine for themselves if you
have access to the recent Sunday Times CD with the UK Colour landsat
tiles, that are also in the same Sid format, these make suitable test
material for mastering the technique.

best wishes and again thanks for all your help

Adrian

1/

WorldReg Ver. 4.0 supports the .sdw format (among several others) for batch
orientated, automated MapInfo raster file registration.  You can get details
on the web at URL:

http://members.aol.com/mapdata/

Or feel free to contact me with your questions.

Thanks,

Tony Cooley
Data Directions
Eugene, OR
(541) 345-4MAP
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>/2
>
>To open Mr Sid files in MapInfo you need to do the following (assuming you
>have already installed the Mr Sid extension from www.lizradtech.com)
>
>File open
>Select "Raster"
>Navigate to the appropriate folder
>Type *.sid and hit "Enter"
>All the Mr Sid format files will appear
>Select the one you want and double click
>It should open and be geo-referenced
>
>If you want to produce a TAB or TFW file, open the Mr Sid image in the stand
>alone Mr Sid viewer and export as a TIF file - it will also produce the TAB
>and TFW files (and a image file 10 to 20 times larger!)
>Cheers
>
>Greg
>
>Greg Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Asia Pacific Support Group,
>Trimble Navigation New Zealand Limited,
*      _
*
*     |_|/~\----^\_   Adrian Walls, North Wales
*
*      _/_      *  :. 14 Tyn Llan,Llanferres,Denbighshire,CH7 5SP, UK *
*     //  |        :' [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
*     -   \        :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
*         /       :   http://www.nwmba.demon.co.uk
*
*         \        :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
*        /         :  AOL Instant Message Username : MacMTBman        *
*
*   /~             :.  (web mail) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*
*
*
*