Hi again,

Got several private responses to my posting on Desktop shortcuts.  And I came up with a solution that works for me.  I wanted to post the answer I found to the group for future reference.  I also want to acknowledge the folks that helped.  Trey Pattillo planted the seed, and Darryl Browning pointed out the error of my ways.  Thanks!

The solution works this way:

I installed Proviewer on each machine, then created a shortcut to Proviewer
(not the workspace) on the Desktop.  I then edited the Target option in the
Shortcut's Properties dialog box, adding a workspace to open as well as
opening Proviewer.  I found that the syntax was critical.  A sample follows:

"C:\Program Files\MapInfo\Professional\Mapinfow.exe"
"\\dctls1\gis\workspaces\county maps\Douglas County parcels map.wor"

The first quotation executes Proviewer from the local machine.  The second
quotation (with a space separating the two) specifies the workspace on the
network to open.  UNC designations must, of course, be prevalent throughout
this process (in the shortcut and the workspace).  It would not work with
mapped drives, unless everyone mapped to the same letters.

It does not seem possible to simply associate WOR or TAB files with
Proviewer.  There is even a note (#12) in the Proviewer55.TXT file that
comes with Proviewer that states this (missed that before).  This process
seems to be filling my needs, however.  I can create (or edit) one workspace
on my GIS server, and point everyone to it from network workstations running
Proviewer.  They don't know where the data or workspaces are, nor do they
care.  They just have to find the shortcut on their Desktops and away they
go!

Thanks again!

Bruce Dawson PLS
Douglas County Transportation and Land Services