Hello everybody,
What I just discovered is that the recent version of Corel Draw (v. 9.0)
alows creation of Adobe Acrobat pdf files as an export function. The cost
of upgrading to Corel 9.0 Graphics Suite is just US$199, and you can buy a
qualifying package for upgrade for peanuts (Corel Office / Corel WP Office
v. 6-7-8). There is also a free filter for Corel 9.0 that allows creation
of Macromedia Flash presentations (although with some constraints).
So in the end you buy the whole Corel suite (incl. vector Corel Draw,
raster Corel PhotoPaint, Corel Trace and many other useful utilities) with
pdf and Flash export capabilities for less money than you would pay for
Adobe Acrobat writer ($235) or Macromedia Flash ($280) alone! Something to
think about.
This is not a paid ad from Corel, rather my personal excitement which I got
from spending my own money - and I think it's a good deal. I am not saying
you will have the full flexibility of handling these "alien" formats within
CorelDraw (you cannot edit them, you can only export to them).
I tried exporting MapInfo maps to dxf, then converting it into Adobe
Illustrator .ai file and importing back to Corel as vector layer. The
straight dxf import did not result in anything for whatever reason. E.g. a
technology very similar to exporting vector layers from ArcView to Corel
Draw for final cartographic design.
Gleb.

Gleb Bylov
GIS Analyst

Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity (CSCA)
Ryerson Polytechnic University
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Web: http://www.csca.ryerson.ca