Just to say thanks to those who replied in answer to my conundrum. In the
end I opted for searching the following Registry key;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\mapinfow.exe

This enabled me to check whether MapInfo is installed on the machine, and if
so provide an interface (Menu Item + Toolbar button) allowing the user to
launch the program.

Regards,

Paul Fildes                                   Phone: +44 121 643 6711
Technology Applications Group, Maunsell Ltd,  Fax:   +44 121 643 1357
Attwood House, 1 Worcester Walk,              Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
New Street, Birmingham B2 4NX, UK             URL:   www.maunsell.co.uk