Can you help?

We have a layer that consists of polygons, and are trying to clean it up.
Adjacent polygons should share a common boundary, with no gaps or slivers
between them.  I was hoping you could provide me with some tips...

What is the best way to detect overlaps between adjacent polygons that are
in the same layer?  Is there an automated way to find them?

What about slivers between adjacent polygons?

Thanks!
Lois