I endorse the "left handed mouse" approach.  I'm right handed.  Two years
ago I was suffering from RSI in my right arm, then I broke my arm badly.  I
was forced to switch my mouse to my left hand, and have never switched back.
I no longer suffer RSI in my right arm.

One additional point: I kept the buttons the same as they were for
right-handed use.  Three reasons:

1.      "Right-click" and "left-click" still make sense;
2.      Other people can still pick up my mouse and use it;
3.      I personally find that using my middle finger on the left button is
easier than using my index finger on the right button.

Oliver Moffatt
GIS Support Officer
Peak District National Park Authority
Telephone: (01629) 816269