Hello,
I work for a small regional inter-government organization in the Pacific
called SOPAC (South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission).
I work in the "Hazards Assessment Unit" and we are working under the
auspices of the "Pacific Cities Project" (which was tailored on the
Australian Cities Project).  We are in the process of trying to expand our
GIS database so we can utilize it for rapid damage assessment; planning;
hazard and disaster management; and more.  The problem that we have though,
is that we need to figure out a way that we can tie together the limited
hazard information; census and building information in each of the Pacific
cities we work in; and also identify data gaps.  We are hoping to tailor a
method that we could use in the region with this limited information.
Our primary software is MapInfo with a few addons such as VM2 and Discover.
We do a little work in MapBasic.
I would be very grateful if anyone with any experience in these applications
or any ideas regarding the integration of information or data layers
(especially for the purpose of damage assessment), to please contact me.
Should you need me to explain a little on the project we're working on
please do email me too.
Kind regards.
Litea Biukoto
Hazard Assessment Unit